Monday 30 December 2013

Hawker Spotlight: Toa Payoh Rojak @ Old Airport Road Food Centre


Rojak stalls in Singapore are everywhere, but I only eat the rojak from one place on a regular basis, and that's the one at Old Airport Road Food Centre. It's name? Toa Payoh Rojak.

I've been patronising this stall for a good number of years now, and their stream of patrons have always bene constant. You have to take a queue number first, and subsequently you make your order when your number is called. Hence you could say it's like any other numbering system you would expect to find in hospitals, clinics or the like. The stall is usually manned by the old man and his wife, as well as his son-in-law. There is a slight difference in how the rojak made by each individual comes out, but more on that later. 

A key selling point in the stall's fame is the shrimp sauce that is used in the rojak, but from what I have observed, it isn't handmade, but rather ordered by the tin. The secret to the sauce includes more sugar, with lime and lemongrass added to the sauce. There is also a secret ingredient that is usually stored in a porcelain mug which I believe is one of the reasons this rojak is arguably one of the best in Singapore. I usually have mine without the chili, but adding a bit of chili allows you to enjoy the dish while still finishing up the shrimp sauce. Personally, I will always just eat the shrimp sauce as it is with the peanuts. 

My recommendation is to have the rojak at the food centre itself, as the dough fritters (you tiao) are hand toasted before they are mixed in the wooden bowl. My only grouse is that they could add more bits of jellyfish strips (a $3 serving entitles you to only one piece of jellyfish) so that more people can try its flavour with the shrimp paste. Overall, the dish is rather sweet, which can make one slightly thirsty after consuming it, but the flavours are all well-balanced as you would expect of in a rojak dish. This is one of the dishes I have each time I go to Old Airport Road Food Centre for a meal when they are open. Highly Recommended.

Expect to pay: $3-5 (a $3 serving will serve 2-3)

 #01-108
Old Airport Road Food Centre
51 Old Airport Road
Closed on Sundays.

On a side note, Toa Payoh Rojak is often confused with the one at Toa Payoh HDB Hub (Soon Heng Silver Stream Rojak). I've tried it before and it doesn't even hold a candle to this one. Perhaps the only reason you would patronise that stall is that the portions are bigger. But I'm never one to compromise on quality for quantity.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm.. good to be here in your article or post, whatever, I think I should also work hard for my own website like I see some good and updated working in your site. private tuition

    ReplyDelete
  2. On that website page, you'll see your description, why not read through this. Pasir Ris MRT Station Hawker Centre

    ReplyDelete