Tuesday 31 December 2013

PS Cafe @ Palais Renaissance

PS Cafe is one of the other so-called "controversial" cafes in Singapore, because the big question is, is it worth to try the food there? I will attempt to give an answer to the best of my ability below. I have visited their outlets at Palais Renaissance and Paragon, and even then the experiences between the 2 locations vary greatly. The pictures below are mainly from their PR outlet, whilst the desserts are from their paragon outlet.

At first glance, you have to admit that PS Cafe is extremely posh and classy. Looking in from the outside, one would probably hesitate to enter if he was wearing casual wear like bermudas and slippers. Furthermore, it is set in the pretty "atas" location of Palais Renaissance. That being said, the patrons here are not necessarily well-dressed, as I found out when I entered. The decor of the cafe in PR is reminiscent of a hotel lounge, as you can see with the extensive use of wood and marble tiling. Inside, however, it is constructed to resemble a barn or farmhouse, with reflective mirror panes replacing the standard glass panes. 

PS Cafe still has a pretty strict no-photograph policy which I find annoying. I would understand totally if I was invading the privacy of someone else, but why can't I take pictures of the interior or the food? That being said, #YOLO so the pictures below are for your viewing pleasure.





PS Big Bacon and Eggs 
2 poached eggs, grilled asparagus, portobello mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon, salami sausage and toast. That's what I remember was in my dish anyway heh. I have a policy of usually trying what the cafe touts as their "big breakfast" when I visit them for the first time, and I ended up satisfied with the Big Bacon and Eggs. It was fairly filling, but not to the point that one would feel bloated. The poached eggs are excellent, and the spiced sausage is a refreshing change from what you would normally get from other brunch places. The toast is definitely not in the league of that served in Wild Honey, and I expected more from the tomatoes and mushrooms. They didn't taste exceptional to me. The "atas" touch? The asparagus, which was grilled well and added flavour to the dish.


Chicken in a Basket
I was surprised at my friend's decision to have this - after all, we came all the way to PS - but it was a good solid meal of fried chicken. As you can see, the basket is filled to the brim with lightly-battered chicken which was well seasoned. and wasn't too oily. The fries were pretty normal, although PS Cafe's truffle fries are good. Be warned though, a serving of truffle fries would probably require like 4 people to finish it comfortably, and leave enough room for dessert. This dish comes with ketchup and lemon sauce on my last trip. The greens are just average, but the carrot sticks are decent I suppose.



The pictures below are from my trip to PS. Paragon. There are 2 areas open for seating, one being the normal one within the mall, which I feel is too open and lacks privacy. Nothing special about the outdoor seating area. The rest of the cafe shares its space with a retail store called Projectshop BloodBros. The tables here are fairly small and the area is dimly lit. As you can see, the main source of lighting is supplied by tealights, which is really romantic in my opinion. GOOD FOR DATES *cough cough*. However, I would rather have my main meals over at PS's other outlets, as it's brighter, and I would probably only come to Paragon for dessert. That being said, the desserts at PS are reason enough to go back, even if their prices are on the high side.

Banana cake with Butterscotch Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream
This is my personal favourite dessert at PS. The banana flavour is prominent in the cake, and it makes it extremely fragrant. The butterscotch sauce is not overbearing, and it isn't sickeningly sweet. The vanilla ice cream goes well with either the cake, the sauce or both at once. Although overall the dessert on a whole is on the sweet side, it's still extremely enjoyable and it goes well with the coffee they serve (especially if you take their drinks without sugar).


Double Chocolate Blackout Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream
PS's signature dessert. As the name of the dessert suggests, it's just CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE AND MORE CHOCOLATE. Chocolate fudge cake with chocolate mousse in between and drizzled with chocolate sauce and its paired with vanilla ice cream. Guaranteed sore throat after eating this but it's well worth it if you're a chocolate lover. The cake is extremely moist on its own, and even it acts as a sponge of sorts to soak up the chocolate sauce for even more chocolate flavour. 



In summary, PS is undoubtedly a good place for meeting friends or bringing your special someone out on a date because the ambiance is generally better than other restaurants in the area. The food is of a good standard, but it's definitely not something that is out of this world. Furthermore, the prices aren't exactly wallet-friendly either so you wouldn't be really heading down there every week. My verdict? Above average food, Good desserts, but both at high prices. Make sure your pay is in before heading down.

Expect to pay: $30-35 for food
                      $15 for desserts

Outlets visited
#02-09A
Palais Renaissance
390 Orchard Road

#03-41/44
Paragon Shopping Centre
290 Orchard Road


No comments:

Post a Comment