Friday 3 January 2014

Group Therapy Cafe @ Katong V

Group Therapy Cafe Katong V is one of the newest additions to spring up in the east, making it much more accessible to fans without having to head down to their outlet at Duxton Road. Nestled in a relatively quiet corner of the mall, you would be forgiven for missing the cafe as the storefront doesn't really stand out. Then again, GTC believes in space AWAY from the daily grind, so it's nice that it's relatively quiet. However, I can't say that the cafe itself is relatively quiet as I have encountered quite a few families with young children which pretty much terrorise all the other patrons. That being said, it is no fault of theirs but do expect families here as it is strategically located to be near residential areas.

There are nice lounge chairs and a sofa inside the cafe as well to relax in if you're just there for your daily cuppa. If not, there is a free-seating concept and you can head on over to order and pay at the counter when you are done browsing the menu. There are numerous all-day breakfast items on offer, as well as sandwiches and some mains. The food and drinks here are decent, but definitely not the best around. 
Big Plate
Naming a dish does not get simpler. What you see is what you get, with multi-grain toast, back bacon, sauteed mushrooms, sausage and a side salad. Eggs can be poached or scrambled, and are usually served on the side. I didn't really agree with the eggs being served on the side as it kind of makes the main plate look a little empty. The multi-grain toast is decent and fresh, while the sausage is well-done. The mushrooms are average, and the bacon is salty in general. I do like the salad here mostly due to the sesame and garlic dressing which I find tasty, even if it might be from a bottle (hmm, sometimes it's better not to know and just enjoy the food).


The same dish served with brioche toast. I was disappointed, to be honest, at the thickness of the brioche toast. Tasted more like your regular white bread to me, and as you can see below, the picture doesn't do much to support the alternative to my statement. That being said, the toast was crisp enough for most people to enjoy. 


Poached eggs with salmon and gruyere on toast
For those who do not know, gruyere is a type of cheese, which I feel is a good and viable alternative to Hollandaise sauce that is so often seen with breakfast and toast dishes. The poached eggs are drenched with this sauce, and it goes well with the toast. The serving of smoked salmon is fairly generous in my opinion, but isn't of an exceptional quality. I believe you can get better quality and stronger-tasting smoked salmon from your local Cold Storage store. However, it was good enough to make me satisfied with this dish and I will definitely be choosing this over the Big Plate or their other breakfast offerings for the time being.


Their buttermilk pancakes come in a generally small serving size, and hence I did not order seeing it after seeing the people at the table next to me looking victimised by the small serving. However since it costs $12, I would say that is reasonable, bordering upon expensive, for the thin pancakes. Their drinks fare better though, and are served in cups and saucers of contrasting colours. This means that your cuppa looks sprightly when served to you, and it does brighten your day. Their drinks come in iced or hot versions, but since I personally prefer hot drinks, I only have photographs of the hot ones. I've seen quite a few people order this Iced Green Tea Latte, but it looks rather dilute based on its colour and consistency. It looks a bit too pale to satisfy the average Green Tea lover, and I would definitely stick to having my Green Tea Lattes as Starbucks.

Triple Shot Latte
From what I learned from the barista, their lattes are served with 2 shots of coffee. Personally, I like to add an additional shot to make it 3. The third shot greatly enhances the flavour and aroma of the coffee in my opinion. While the latte art isn't great, at least there is a show of some effort which I find to be satisfactory. After all, who really cares what is on the top of your drink when you're going to stir it in anyway. However, their drinks come in one size only, with the height of the cup being around 10cm if I remember correctly, or about the portion of a tall cup.


Mint Mocha
I tried this drink as I was feeling Christmasy at the time. Not sure whether it was a latte art gone wrong here, but as I mentioned before, it doesn't matter. The combination of mint and chocolate is one that has been tried-and-tested by many, so it's definitely safe to drink. If you have enjoyed drinks such as the Peppermint Mocha served at Starbucks, you'll find this comparable, but not markedly better. The chocolate used in this drink doesn't taste extraordinary, and the mint taste is slightly on a mild side, probably because the barista doesn't want to push the limits of this drink as not everyone appreciates a strong peppermint taste. This is a good alternative to the latte if you don't really want to taste your coffee.


GTC charges GST although there is no service charge, and hence the prices can vary a little from what you see on the menu. It's definitely a good place to meet up with friends as the seating space is adequate and the overall ambiance is very relaxed. The cakes and pastries look rather underwhelming and as such I haven't tried them yet. The location is also decent with cheap parking in the vicinity. It's also a good getaway from the crowds that throng Parkway Parade and its coffee branches, so I believe to be worth the walk across the overhead bridge and across the car park of Katong V. The food I would say is better than average, so I would come back for the food, just maybe not too often. The drink size may not suffice for a long conversation, but is a good size for your regular pick-me-up. Also a good place for families to stake out while the other members shop for groceries at the nearby Fairprice Finest. Do give it a try if you're in the East Coast Area.

Expect to pay: $15-25

#01-11
Katong V
30 East Coast Road

No comments:

Post a Comment